Thursday, June 30, 2011

Alicia & Brandon: Pink & Brown Wedding...

WLB: What were your top 3 favorite design details about your wedding day?
Alicia: My tiara and veil. I picked out a medium-length, shear veil and had my mom sew this amazingly beautiful tiara onto it so that the tiara was worn more like a headband and the veil "fell" from it, b) My cake. I wanted a pink cake, with white frosting embellishment on it and fresh flowers. I didn't have any idea about cake design, so I turned the who thing over to my mom. I told her to make it "romantic" and definitely not "modern" because that is my style, c) My dress and bouquet. My favorite feature of my dress was the shear lace and floral details on the skirt and I loved having a monochromatic bouquet. I think that monochromatic is the way to go on the bridal and flower girl bouquets because it is always in style. Also, no plastic or bead details in the bouquets was my preference.
WLB: Something every bride should know?
Alicia: I had a difficult time on my wedding day overall. The temple sealing itself was perfect. The rest of the day, I felt like a lot of attention was on me and I clammed up. That said, I would tell every bride to try to "let it all go." Try not to worry about pleasing everyone and being the perfect hostess. Let others step in to do that. Definitely don't be what has been coined "bridezilla," but try to let others host while you just enjoy standing next to your man. My maid of honor, Ashley actually had to lean over during the wedding line and say, "stand closer to Brandon" (my groom). I was in shock when I realized that half the reception line had gone through and I was standing about a foot away from my groom! I moved in closer and held his arm. It was like that the entire day. Both bride and groom were trying so hard to be a good host and hostess. It was exhausting and I tell all brides to remember to stand close, link arms and even flirt with your groom on your wedding day. And try to have more fun.


WLB: Close calls, disasters or something funny?


Alicia: Between the wedding lunch and reception, Brandon and I checked into our hotel room so we wouldn't have to after the reception. It was in downtown Salt Lake. We didn't plan on construction and we were stuck in traffic to get from our hotel to the reception. We were 15 minutes late for pictures and the photographer was getting paid by the hour and he had another wedding to do after, so missing those 15 minutes caused some stress for him, as well as my mom who was paying for him. I would just say skip any errands you can avoid between wedding events. Even if it seems like you have a couple hours to kill between the festivities, you really don't. Just stick around until everything is over.


WLB: If you had it to do over, would you do anything differently?

Alicia: Yes, definitely. I wish I had danced. My whole life I had wanted to have some dancing at my wedding. I wanted to play a meaningful song to me and dance with my dad, probably "The Wind Beneath My Wings" and then have Brandon (my groom) cut in and dance to our love song "Songbird." But at the end of the reception, I was so exhausted that I didn't do it. Also, I was shy about it. And I couldn't find my dad anywhere as he was busy taking pictures of the pretty surroundings. I had not communicated to my dad or my groom or anyone that I wanted to do this. It really slipped my mind, but it is something I keep wishing I would have done so I could have the pictures of it. That said, I still loved my wedding day and it doesn't make a huge difference. It's really not about what you do on your wedding day, but who you marry that is the important thing.
WLB One thing that made the day meaningful?


Alicia: The day was meaningful because I married the right guy. It really wasn't easy for us that first year together especially. He was 32 and I was 27 and both of us had established careers for ourselves and were very independent when we married. But over time, we have worked together better and better. I would say that the most important thing about your wedding is WHO you marry. It sounds like a no-brainer but I think that with all the pretty details and all the excitement of a wedding, sometimes people unfortunately forget it.

Vendor Note: Bridal Photo at top by Robert Dyer

No comments: