Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mark & Raquel...

Mark and I are both from Utah. Although, we started dating long after high school, we have known each other for years. Mark is an amazing artist (I'm not biased, he really is!) ha!.  He studied at Otis College of Art and Design here in LA.  Currently, he co-owns and runs an art gallery in downtown LA called R&R Gallery. Recently, I have taken over as manager of the art gallery.  We both enjoy Kundalini Yoga.  I am now a certified teacher, and teach a weekly class at our art gallery.
Our entire wedding was held at The Inn of the Seventh Ray (Topanga Canyon, Los Angeles), based on its ability to accommodate small groups and be an outdoor venue with great ambiance for our special day.  
We kept our event small with only 20 guests, mostly family and a few close friends. 
Being outside the decor needed a organic, natural, yet sophisticated feel. The moms carried nosegays - mini versions of the bridal bouquet.  
The groom and the fathers (and officiant) wore traditional Indian marigold necklaces. The centerpieces were all varied with different heights, sizes, and colors of vases which were filled with equally different variations of flowers.  
The ceremony was outside under a tree canopy at sunset, then the guests were moved to the patio along the river to the reception site. 
 Food:
The guests enjoyed a non-cocktail hour which included asparagus bundles with truffle oil and Parmesan cheese and a tomato bruschetta on crostini with basil.  For dinner guests had a choice of Crispy Vegan duck with baby bok choy, and green salad, or whole wheat vegetable strudel (also vegan) with peppers, broccoli rabe and vegan Tarragon Creme.  
Mark and I are both vegetarian, so we appreciated our guests being open minded and willing to enjoy the menu.  All food was catered by the Inn of the Seventh Ray.  Our wedding cake was done by Babycakes (NYC and LA) because the bride and many of the guests require gluten-free diet, we decided to go with the best in allergy-specialty cakes.  Our cake was a delicious gluten-free and vegan vanilla cake with vanilla frosting.

For guest favors, I wanted something cute, small and would travel well for the visiting guests.   I found this lady (On Etsy) that sales young succulent plants in little cans - she had these small galvanized metal watering cans.  I had one of these at each place setting. They reflected the succulents that I had in my bouquet.   

The DRESS!  My dress was created for me by L'ezu Atelier.  Made of silk taffeta in "oyster" (just a little off-white).  I love this store and their service, trying to stay local and semi eco-conscious was very thrilled to find that their dresses are made right in Beverly Hills.  I even walked to one of my fittings!
My favorite of the details are near the bottom of the dress.  This was because I wanted to accessorize more!  I wore a 3-strand pearl necklace that was long.  I attached a beautiful 'borrowed' diamond and sapphire broach to the necklace.  The blue in the broach coordinated with my sapphire blue heels.  
My headpiece was locally made also, and is ostrich-feather (faux) and blonde peacock feathers with a netting cage. 

Homage to our parents - I wanted to create an homage to our parents', who are are still married  My mom displayed her beautiful wedding gown and their wedding photo on the table next to the place cards for all to see.  It helped bring that modern-vintage feel to the patio where our reception was held.  

Something every bride should know:  Remember to keep perspective.  Your wedding is a moment in time- and it goes by so quickly!  Sweat the details, just a little.  Let it evolve into something that is truly you and your future husband. It is OK to toss some tradition, to make your day more you!

If I had it to do over, I would only do one thing different - I would have a little bit more lighting at our reception.  It makes for better pictures!  Many pictures were blurry, even though our lighting was beautiful and serene!  Think about your pictures - besides your memories you will cherish these the most. 
Old: My ring.  The stones are all vintage (Pre 1950)
New: My dress.  Also a handkerchief given to me by my mom that I held during the ceremony.
Borrowed: The beautiful broach with sapphire and diamonds that I attached to the pearls around my neck
Blue:  My shoes, my ring and the broach

Wedding services found on Etsy were great!  I got the guest favors, my headpiece,  and our wedding stationary/ invitations all from Etsy!

Vendor List:

Our flowers were done by Holly Flora
Invitations by Studio G Designs (found on Etsy)
Guest favors by Succulents Galore (found on Etsy)
Headpiece by Batcakes Couture  (found on Etsy)
Hair by Dean Roybal, Planet Salon.  Friend and trusted hair guru.  

 We honeymooned in Kauai, which is also where Mark proposed a year before.  Our married months have been fantastic and I have no complaints.  Life is an adventure, and I'm glad I've got such an amazing person to share it with!

Happily Ever After to Raquel & Mark!

No comments: